Personal Background Information
Western State University, College of Law, 1976
St. Mary’s College, 1967
Minors: Philosophy, World Literature
Admitted to California Bar, 1977 (California State Bar #074984)
Member: National Organization of Social Security Claimants’ Representatives
19 years of Public Agency Litigation Experience:
16 years in private practice.
Senior Attorney for California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS):
Handled several hundred cases, more than half of which involved entitlement to disability retirement. Other cases handled on behalf of CalPERS involved health benefit eligibility issues, long-term care eligibility, community property, probate, insurance defense, subrogation, fiduciary liability, general government law and administrative law. Obtained many favorable decisions from the Courts of Appeal.
Legal Counsel: California Health Facilities Commission:
Handled more than 100 administrative appeals. Practice included health law, legislation, lobbying and litigation management.
Honors and Awards
American Jurisprudence Award for scholastic achievement in Criminal Law.
U.S. Army Awards include: Bronze Star Medal, Vietnam Campaign Medal, Good Conduct Medal, Vietnam Gallantry Cross, Vietnam Service Medal and National Defense Service Medal.
Commendation from the Northern California Multiple Sclerosis Society.
Personality and Philosophy
- I encourage my clients to be well-informed about their cases.
- I am willing to review documents prepared by clients.
- I am willing to coach or advise clients who want to represent themselves.
- I have always wanted people to be treated fairly. Practicing law is a way to help people get fair treatment.
- I also enjoy developing written and oral arguments.
- I have a special interest in psychiatric disabilities. I majored in psychology and I have maintained an interest in it throughout my adult life. I have an ability to understand medical and psychiatric illnesses and their causes. This helps me represent clients with medical-legal issues.
- What I like best about my career is that my efforts often improve the lives of my clients when they are awarded disability benefits.
- I am a solo practitioner and I handle all aspects of my clients' cases.
- I believe in involving my clients in decision making with respect to their cases.
4088 Bridge St
Fair Oaks CA, 95628